Five Western countries issue joint condemnation of Israel's E1 settlement plan in the West Bank
The UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Canada have described Israel's new housing tenders in the E1 area as "unacceptable."
12punto
Israel's initiation of a tender process for new settler housing in the strategically important E1 area in the occupied West Bank has drawn a sharp reaction from its Western allies. In a joint statement, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Canada described the decision as "unacceptable" and called on Israel to immediately withdraw the plans.
The Israeli Ministry of Housing has opened tenders for 1,234 housing units in an area of approximately 12 square kilometers between East Jerusalem and the Maale Adumim settlement. These units are part of a total plan for 3,401 units approved by the Israeli government last year.
The five countries' statement emphasized that the decision is "even more concerning" at a time when settler violence against civilians in the West Bank is increasing and severe restrictions are being imposed on the Palestinian economy. The statement said, "These plans will not only take us further away from peace, but will also further weaken Israel's international standing."
WHY IS E1 CONTROVERSIAL?
The E1 area is located east of East Jerusalem and west of the Maale Adumim settlement. Opponents of the project argue that construction here would weaken the geographical connection between the north and south of the West Bank, further isolate East Jerusalem from Palestinian residential areas, and deal a heavy blow to the possibility of a two-state solution.
Under international law, settlements established by Israel in occupied territories are considered illegal. Israel rejects this assessment. Construction plans in E1 had been kept on hold for many years due to international pressure.
The UN Secretary-General has also stated that the E1 plan poses an "existential threat" to a contiguous Palestinian state. The Belgian Foreign Minister made a similar statement. Israeli Foreign Minister "categorically" opposed the condemnation by UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband.
The deadline for the tender process has been set for October 19. This date falls just a few days before the general elections scheduled to be held in Israel on October 27. Therefore, it is assessed that if the tenders proceed, it may be more difficult for the new government to be formed to reverse the process.
Israel occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem in the 1967 Middle East War. Since then, approximately 160 settlements have been established in the region; around 700,000 Jewish settlers live in these settlements. An estimated 3.3 million Palestinians also reside in the same region.
The expansion of settlements has accelerated since Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu returned to power at the end of 2022 with a pro-settler right-wing coalition. During the promotion of the E1 plan, far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich had said that the idea of a Palestinian state had been "buried."